You may not realize it, but you’re probably doing some things wrong regarding your skincare routine. And that’s totally fine; we’ve all been there. But now that the temperatures are heating up and you need to be more conscious of how you protect your skin from the sun, it’s time to assess your skincare routine and make some changes if needed. Here are some tips for improving the skincare routine for men and women this summer and throughout the year.
Start by cleansing your face with a product that suits your skin type. If you have oily skin, look for a gel or foaming cleanser. If you have dry skin, opt for a cream or oil-based cleanser.
- Apply a toner to balance your skin’s acidity and prepare it for the remainder of your routine.
- Moisturize as needed; don’t forget about your neck!
- Finish off with an SPF 30 sunscreen if you’re going to be outside for more than 15 minutes this morning (especially if you’ll be sweating).
Double cleanse at night with a makeup remover and lukewarm water first, then follow these tips to eliminate any leftover skincare product residue or dirt from the day.
- Splash your face with cold water to close your pores.
- Apply an alcohol-free toner all over your face using a cotton ball.
- Dot on your favorite serum or face oil on areas you’re concerned about. Rub it onto your skin in upward strokes until it is completely absorbed.
- Finish by rubbing lotion, either scented or unscented, all over your hands, feet, legs, arms, and chest.
- Slather the lotion generously for best results (especially if you live in a climate where the air is dry).
You’re now ready for bed!
Summer skincare tips
Although it’s important to give your skin the attention it deserves, you shouldn’t feel like you have to ditch every other part of your routine to take good care of your skin. Instead, try incorporating these summer skincare tips into the ordinary skincare routine you already have going:
Don’t forget the sunscreen!
Whether visiting the beach or just spending time outdoors, you need to protect your skin from the sun’s harmful rays. Look for a sunscreen with an SPF higher than 30 and apply it generously all over your body.
Drink plenty of water.
Staying hydrated in the summer heat is important for overall health, but it also helps keep your skin looking plump and glowing. Keep in mind that you should probably drink more than eight glasses of water each day. Don’t forget about hydrating your skin by keeping it moisturized with lotion after washing.
Invest in quality skincare products.
Some of my favorite brands are The Ordinary, L’Occitane en Provence, Tatcha, and Dior. I store them all in my skincare fridge to preserve their freshness.
Limit using facemasks
Use face masks sparingly during summertime if possible because they might clog pores if applied too often (too much exfoliation can have the same effect).
How to find a good online store for skincare products
Start by searching for skincare near me. This gives a list of local skincare shops. If not, try searching for skincare online. This gives a list of online skincare shops.
Once you’ve identified a few shops, check out their selections, pricing, and shipping. Read reviews to learn about the company’s customer service. If you like what you see, go ahead and buy your items!
How much should I be spending?
To acquire effective summer skincare products, you don’t have to spend a lot of money. However, if you want to spend on a few items, here are three things to keep in mind.
- Consider your skin type and what kind of products you need.
- Look for products that have SPF and are water-resistant.
- Find out which ingredients work best for your skin type (i.e., dry or oily).